‘Ello, Govna!

Mmm…not so much. I have yet to hear anyone with that much of a cockney accent.

Greetings from the UK! That’s right, for the 2 of the people in the world who don’t know, I am currently on the OTHER side of the Atlantic Ocean near the lovely town of Brighton for a month long study program. I made it here a little worse for the wear around 3 pm BST. I managed to navigate my way from Heathrow to the appropriate train station with little hassle (but a little bit of hung-over jet-lagged nausea during the coach ride), and retrieved my rail tickets from the kiosk.

Insert Pic here (thusly inserted)

I was a few hours ahead of my train time (breezed through immigration, thanks much), so I wondered around the nearby area a bit (as much as one would be wont to do with a 19 kg bag in tow) and grabbed some lunch (bye-bye nausea). Caught the train to Brighton (mind the gap!) and then another train to Falmer. From there a lovely coach was available to take incoming students to the University (my legs thank you, University of Sussex).

And then disaster struck…at least in my very jet-lagged, sleep-deprived mind (I tried to sleep on the plane, I really did. I just wasn’t extremely successful). I was unable to connect to the internet in my dorm room (which, by the way, is a lovely little home away from home, particularly in that I have my own bathroom).  Now, normally the lack of internet would merely be an annoyance. I mean, I’ve gone for periods of time with out it, and I managed to come out the other side relatively unscathed. However, I had yet to communicate with the Boy (or anyone else back home, for that matter) to let them know that I’d arrived in one piece, safely, and I wasn’t floating in the Atlantic ocean somewhere.

I bawled. Heaving, snotty, messy sobbing.

And then I remembered my iPod.

Thank you, Jesus, it worked, installing whatever crap the network deemed necessary, and I was able to email the Boy.

(Now, don’t think I was going to leave that unresolved…the next day I took my laptop to the IT department and they fixed it right up. There is no way I’d be typing this long of a blog post on an iPod. I may be mad, but I am not a masochist. )

I managed to make it until about 20.30 BST before I crashed for the night…It seems to have helped a lot with the jet-lag…but I was a complete zombie until I went to bed.

Okay, okay…this a completely boring post. I plan to add a picture up towards the beginning, but the connection is acting up and taking forever to upload anything, so that will have to wait. But really, my journey was uneventful save for my melt down when I got to my dorm room. For that I am thankful.

Tomorrow I’m heading into Brighton proper, as I don’t have class tomorrow, to have a look see and perhaps pick up some postcards to send out. Hopefully I’ll be able to post pictures in a timely fashion, so I can share my adventures with you visually.

Until then, cheers!

P.S…I’ve totally lucked out thus far with the weather…sunny and in the 20’s. It’s really been quite lovely and I’ve been spending as much time outside as possible…it’s not going to last. I feel really bad for the kids who are in from California…they don’t know what to do with themselves when the sun’s not out.

About maggyruth

Mid-thirties, Mid-Atlantic transplant. Fiber-artist, hidden poet, health educator, student. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I swear sometimes. Especially when I'm mad. Deal with it. View all posts by maggyruth

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: